On Thu, 3 Oct 2002, Damon Garn wrote:

> Okay, here's what I've discovered. Booted to rescue mode, did the chroot and
> I have NO yaboot.conf in my /etc/ directory! It would appear that I don't
> have a valid boot loader installed at all. I haven't been able to find a way
> to install it. When I mess with ybin I keep getting an error indicating I
> need to "specify the deive for the bootstrap partition in the form
> boot=/dev/hdaX" - that device should be hda8 according to the Mandrake setup
> that shows the "blessed" bootstrap partition as 8. What can I do to get
> yaboot going?
>
> To sum up, it appears that the Open Firmware is going to the right partition
> and not finding boot info...
>
> I'm pretty sure this is a dumb question, but can I run grub instead?
> Damon

Nope - can't use grub.  This should get you going - edit appropriately and
make sure the kernel and initrd referenced are in /boot.  This is a new
one, don't think I've seen anyone report this before.

#yaboot.conf - generated by DrakX
init-message="\nWelcome to Mandrake Linux!\n"
boot=/dev/hda6
ofboot=hd:6
delay=30
timeout=50
install=/usr/local/lib/yaboot/yaboot
magicboot=/usr/local/lib/yaboot/ofboot
enablecdboot
enableofboot
defaultos=linux
default=linux
image=hd:7,/vmlinuz-2.4.18-6.1mdk
        label=linux
        root=/dev/hda14
        initrd=hd:7,/initrd-2.4.18-6.1mdk.img
        append=" devfs=mount"
        read-only

> On Sunday, September 29, 2002, at 08:43 PM, Damon Garn wrote:
>
> [...]
> >>  Attempted the following:
> >> 1. suggested fix of cmd-opt-o-f and set the OF option to the
> >> designated partition (*) with 'setenv boot-device hd:8;\\tbxi' then
> >> 'shut-down'
> >
> > What is /dev/hda8 (ie. what partition is this?  /boot?  the apple
> > bootstrap?)
> >
> > [This was the designated partition identified by the M8.2 install as
> > the
> > "blessed partition" where the normal startup would go to look for the
> > boot
> > manager (as I understand the process). The expert mode setup said to
> > write
> > that partition number down and use the above process in case of a
> > failed
> > boot. The OSX partitions are previous to that and the 3 Linux
> > partitions I
> > created follow it. ]
>

> Ok, so you went into OF and did a "setenv boot-device hd:8,\\:tbxi"?
> (My syntax could be slightly off).  I had to do this last night myself,
> booting from an 8.2 install CD into rescue mode and running ybin in
> chroot as I booted into OS X and changed the startup disk to boot into
> OS9 so I could upgrade the version of palmos on my palm.  Does
> "printenv boot-device" show the correct thing?
>
> I'm not really sure what else to suggest.  The strangest behaviour I've
> got is when turning on my G4 (after it's been off), it loads up a grey
> screen and stalls, and I have to power down again.  Once I power up the
> second time, ybin comes up just fine for me.
>
> --
> MandrakeSoft Security; http://www.mandrakesecure.net/
> "lynx - source http://linsec.ca/vdanen.asc | gpg --import"
> {FE6F2AFD: 88D8 0D23 8D4B 3407 5BD7 66F9 2043 D0E5 FE6F 2AFD}

MandrakeSoft
PPC FAQ: http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/ppcFAQ.php3
IRC: irc.openproject.net #cooker-ppc