> On Sun, 29 Sep 2002, Vincent Danen wrote:
>
> A couple of problems with what you're trying to do:
>
> 1) The mirrors installer does not reflect the state of the final 8.2
> installer image.  I was never able to update it at the end of the cycle,
> as I don't have direct write access.
> 2) The RPM tree is incomplete, with several rather important files
> missing.  Vincent had a certain advantage in that he synced the most
> current stuff directly from me.  Explanation for the state of the mirrors
> as far as RPMs is twofold:
>
>       a) Some RPMs, though valid versions, were rejected by the upload
>       script I use to upload.
>       b) Cooker has been frozen, so I haven't uploaded anything since
>       Sept 2 or so.

Can that be source of my installation problems (both 8.2 and from coooker,
see below) ?

> Finally, network installs aren't really intended to be done over the
> internet.  The idea is to mirror the files locally on your own network,
> and then do an install from your own ftp, http, nfs server.  If cooker was
> live, there's a good chance the files would change on you in the middle of
> your install, which would not play out well for your install.

I finally rsync everything from ftp.ciril.fr (then a gendistrib and al.) to
do a hardrive install.

> An 8.2 install and updating via urpmi is probably your best bet at this
> point, but you'll still get bitten by point #2 above.  Hopefully cooker
> will re-open soon, and I'l be able to clean things up on the mirrors.

I tried, I tried and I tried. I just don't get how to go over the "glibc"
dependencies without breaking everything.
Any tips ? Should I use "auto-select" or go step by step ?

> The net boot you were trying to do above requires you to have a local
> tftpserver hosting the kernel images.  This is covered in the small guide
> in the doc directory.

Tried it before. It failed probably because of my earlier openfirmware
problem/corruption.
Doesn't really matter now.

> Test mode install isn't really that bad.  The partitioning is the portion
> that is probably the most different, mostly due to limitations of what you
> can do with a console based app vs. gtk.

I agree it's not worst that 5 years ago when I joined this happy
community...
But I get however serious problems, maybe because I'm not a natural ppc guy.

1- Individual packages choice doesn't work. I can add/remove but the real
installation don't care. It just go with the "theme" choices (gnome, kde,
office, internet, etc.) If you choose nothing (minimal install) it crash).
So I choose only the "network client" to do a 8.2 minimal install.

2- Locales-fr is never installed. I rather get locales-et. So I do a urpme
of -et and urpmi of -fr after the reboot. I can live with this one.

But:

3- Only the "linux native" seems to work in the partitioning (8.2 and
cooker). How should I spell "reiserfs" or "ext3, Ext3, Linux ext3" ?
"reiserfs" and "ext3" passed but I never get the "format, type, resize"
option. Only "create" on a smaller sized partition. If I persit (don't use
create, exit then OK then the "partition to format: hda12, hda13 swap...), I
get "Une erreur est survenue, Le montage a echoue"..."A error occur, fail to
mount: invalid argument". Then I must reboot and start over and choose Linux
native only.

4- The formating (Linux native) during the COOKER installation seems to
corrupt the fs. On reboot, I get the "do e2fsck -b 8193" etc... No matters
how many e2fsck I tried to do (8193, 16385, ... there or by the rescue CD
reboot) it stay unbootable. So I guess I must do a "upgrade install" or a
full-install-without-reformatting from 8.2 to cooker...

I do it with the "theme" gnome this time.

5- With the "Full-install-without-reformatting" I can't get X to works. It
worked with 8.2. It don't like the mix of the new2.4.19 with X4.2 with r128
(ati rage 128 mobility) I guess.
"(EE)(R128) Could not... V_BIOS (5)" stuff

By googling a little, I tried many thing.
The only that works (a little) is to do:
"X -configure"
copy the new Xconfigure.new file from /root/ --> /etc/X11/XFconfig-4.
Replace "ati" by "fbdev"
Replace the mouse "auto" and "/dev/mouse" options by "PS/2" and
"/dev/usbmouse".
Fire startx.
It works (nice red screen with a moving "X") but gnome don't start.

What should I do next ?
I'm close ain't ?

FYI, my "cooker hardrive installation" is in my /home partition (diff that
/).

P.