On Sun, 29 Sep 2002, Vincent Danen wrote:

> On Sunday, September 29, 2002, at 10:59 AM, Pascal Gagnon wrote:
>
> >> Re-burn the 8.2 install CD and boot from it.  You should be able to
> >> tell it to do FTP, NFS, etc. installs and this might work (I can't be
> >> 100% sure as it might still be looking for 8.2 packages).
> >
> > I re-burn the 8.2 install CD. Still didn't boot. After some google
> > research,
> > i did a full-reset of openfimware. The 8.2 install CD did boot but i
> > can't
> > do any other installation that "install-text".
>
> Do the install in text mode then.  I know it's a PITA, but it was the
> only way I could get 8.2 and cooker to install on my G4 lamp.
>
> > All the video installation finish by a black with blue vertical line
> > screen
> > and the
> > Install-net-* (text, text-2.2...) gives me this error:
> > "enet:0:2,\\vmlinux: Unknown or corrupt filesystem"
> > or
> > "enet:0:2,\\vmlinux-2.2: Unknown or corrupt filesystem"
>
> Never tried a 2.2-based install myself, but I would really think you
> need to go with a 2.4 install (or at least you should).
>
> > Guess I'll try once again to do a minimal 8.2 install then urpmi
> > everything
> > from cooker.
> > Didn't work a month ago but now maybe...
>
> You may have some cleaning up to do (I did), but now the machine works
> quite well, aside from some other quirks.
>
> >> Something to try.  I made a 2 CD set for cooker PPC and installed it
> >> using text mode.  You could try the same thing.
> >
> > Been there, tried that. Perl (version) and free space problems I
> > think. I
> > gived up and I deleted everything since then and I could not afford to
> > rsync
> > 2Gig again (bandwidth quota) just to retry.
> >
> > Any simple and minimal image available (like the network.img for i586)
> > for
> > ppc just to start a ftp installation ?
>
> I don't know.  Someone else might (Stew?) but I have no clue on that.

I could do an installer only ISO, at about 100MB or so.  Problem is
where to host it.  We did do this some time back during the 8.0 beta
period.

A couple of problems with what you're trying to do:

1) The mirrors installer does not reflect the state of the final 8.2
installer image.  I was never able to update it at the end of the cycle,
as I don't have direct write access.

2) The RPM tree is incomplete, with several rather important files
missing.  Vincent had a certain advantage in that he synced the most
current stuff directly from me.  Explanation for the state of the mirrors
as far as RPMs is twofold:

        a) Some RPMs, though valid versions, were rejected by the upload
        script I use to upload.
        b) Cooker has been frozen, so I haven't uploaded anything since
        Sept 2 or so.

Finally, network installs aren't really intended to be done over the
internet.  The idea is to mirror the files locally on your own network,
and then do an install from your own ftp, http, nfs server.  If cooker was
live, there's a good chance the files would change on you in the middle of
your install, which would not play out well for your install.

An 8.2 install and updating via urpmi is probably your best bet at this
point, but you'll still get bitten by point #2 above.  Hopefully cooker
will re-open soon, and I'l be able to clean things up on the mirrors.

The net boot you were trying to do above requires you to have a local
tftpserver hosting the kernel images.  This is covered in the small guide
in the doc directory.

Test mode install isn't really that bad.  The partitioning is the portion
that is probably the most different, mostly due to limitations of what you
can do with a console based app vs. gtk.

MandrakeSoft
PPC FAQ: http://www.linux-mandrake.com/en/ppcFAQ.php3
IRC: irc.openproject.net #cooker-ppc