On Fri, 21 Mar 2003, Stew Benedict wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Mar 2003, Pozsar Balazs wrote:
>
> > I have a 2002 powerbook with the ati radeon 7500 mobility. I still get
> > very weird effects on the screen when entering graphics mode, and it is
> > unusable :(.
>
> install-gui-benh is also wierd?  This may be the same machine someone else
> mentioned, that drove me to add the "force-fbdev" in the final for.

Okay, I managed to do a text install, so I could experiment with X config.

I inserted the 1280x854 modeline into the XF86Config-4, started X and....
... got the some effect as in the installer.
So basically this seems to be a modeline issue.
I changed the horizsync to "30-70", the vertrefresh to "50-131" (saw these
somewhere on the net) and I nearly got a useable X. The resolution, the
colors are good, but there is a constant interference on the screen (which
makes it unusable).

Other major problems:
 - After starting X, I cannot switch back to the console. You may think of
me as a dumb now :), but I get an even more wierd effect... :(
 - Whenever X crashed, I had to do a reset. Before crashing X, I did a
"mount -o remount,sync,noatime /dev/root" to reduce filesystem corruption.
Even after doing this, after reboot fsck asked me about repairing the
filesystem, because it found too serious errors. What the "fun" thing was:
I really have no idea why, but at this point, my keyboard was _totally_
screwed up. I could not answer "Y", beacuse I could not find which key it
was mapped mapped. For example, pressing enter caused printing a "8"
character on the screen. (??? I could not believe this, I know this is
getting insane ???).
[Finally, I could do the fsck by spawning a shell with the kernel
 parameter "init=/bin/bash"]

Wuff. That's it for now :)

--
pozsy