On Monday 02 June 2003 05:58 pm, Isaac wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've had partial success to share, and would like any tips on getting over
> the next hump.
>
> booting off the installer CD works, and the only way it seems to get
> anywhere is with this line in yaboot:
>
> install-gui-benh text video=ofonly

OK, I realized the first time around that I hadn't installed the benh kernel,
therefore it couldn't boot it. BUT now I've done a new text install,
including the benh for sure with individual package selection, but it didn't
appear in yaboot!

The other problem is that in the installer, when I switch to the shell
console, my 'A' key is mapped to backspace... so I'm quite limited in what
commands I can enter. Ironically, I couldn't even type 'loadkeys' to fix this
problem, since that has an 'a' in it. And tab doesn't autocomplete in this
limited shell, so that trick won't work either.

The 'A' key works correctly in rescue mode, but that's not benh, so then the
Ultra ATA drive isn't visible.

So... i have a few ideas, if anyone would like to advise which is likely to
work best... since it'll be a while until I'm back at this.

1) move this HD from the ultra ATA bus to the "normal" ATA bus. Would that
make it visible under the MDK kernel in rescue mode long enough to fix the
yaboot.conf?  Then move it back to the Ultra bus?

2) put this HD in another machine that already boots, fix the yaboot.conf

3) something else I'm missing?

-i