On Thu, 23 Sep 1999, Lorne Shantz wrote:

> > > I was disappointed to find that the new 6.1 release seems to still be
> > > broken. It will NOT allow me to auto probe my Adaptec AHA1542 SCSI host
> > > adapter. I even tried sending it manual info. Not positive if I got the
> > > syntax right or not, but it sure isn't detecting it properly. I keep
> > > getting reset bus failed etc. The older versions worked as I recall.
> >
> > Strange thing is, it works great for me, Lorne.  Can you give us details
> > on the card (I/O, IRQ, attached devices, and so forth)?  Mine works fine
> > and it's an AHA1542 using the stock boot.img (and bootnet.img) and
> > autoprobing found it just fine...

> I have it at work and will get the bios version etc when I get there but
> it is an AHA1542C? IO port 330, interupt 11 and dma 5 if I remember
> correctly.

Hmmm...  I've got two AHA1542 cards.. not sure on the revision on either,
if they're C's or not, but one is the older one with the large SCSI
connectors and the other is SCSI-2...  the SCSI-2 card is on the Mandrake
6.0 machine, but the other is on this one running 6.1...  it's IO:330, IRQ
12, DMA 7 and it works fine.  I believe the other card is identical except
it's on a different IRQ...  Something about IRQ 11 bugs me tho, and I'm
not sure what.... can you stick it on a different IRQ (maybe try 12?) and
see if that works?  Do you have any other cards in there that may have IRQ
conflicts at all?  I know I had that problem with a PNP NE2000 card before
until I changed the IRQ on the Adaptec card...

Vincent Danen ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) . ICQ: 16978834
BBBS/LiI . Internet Rex for Linux Beta
Stronghold Enterprises/X BBS . http://shx.tzo.net
Telnet://shx.tzo.net . Weblogin-http://shx.tzo.net/shx