Re: 7.0b,

At the 5th attempt I got an initial install up.  Logging in as root:

Problem 1.    The kernel loaded was 2.2.13-1mdklinus.  This kernel has no
supermount module, so all the fstab supermounts failed in vivid red.

There was no /usr/src/linux-2.2.13 directory, hence no modules
for that kernel.

Problem 2.    The /boot/vmlinuz symbolic link pointed to
vmlinuz-2.2.13-1mdklinus, hence problem 1 and 2 above.

Strangely, the module-info symbolic link pointed to module-info-2.2.14-11mdk.

Correcting the /boot/vmlinuz symbolic link to vmlinuz-2.2.14-11mdk, running lilo,
and rebooting (supermount worked this time) gave me an operating KDE system.

Problem 3.   Attempting to display the /mnt directory with the KDE file
manager (KFM) hung the entire system indefinitely after showing just the first
icon.     The only orderly way out was Ctrl+Alt+F2 then Crtl+Alt+Delete.

Conclusion:   Supermount is entirely incompatible with KDE 1.1.2.
Unless Mandrake can engineer a workaround for KDE's KFM either
MandrakeSoft must drop supermount or all users of KDE before their first boot
will have to have somehow replaced the entire /etc/fstab file with a new one
that does not  mention supermount.

This is VERY SERIOUS.

  --

Regards,