Kaixo!

On Wed, Mar 08, 2000 at 07:00:40PM +0100, Francis GALIEGUE wrote:

> > I agree. a %files section automatically fileld is evil; it generates tons
> > of error messages on rpm package updates (of the kind of
> > "/usr/bin directory not empty"), which give a bad image of our work.
>
> The best is: first, no %files section - then, in a shell, cd $RPM_BUILD_ROOT
> and find | less.
> Do your %files section from there.

Myself I often build an rpm package commenting out the %clean section; then
I check on the buildroot directory if there isn't some file/directory missed;
if all is OK, I remove the comment and rebuild it (with -ba this time)

Don't hesitate to use heavily wildcards when possible, too.
It is both easier to manage when new files are added or some deleted from
the package, but also it is much easier to read and understand something like:

%files
%doc README COPYING
/usr/bin/*
/usr/man/man[1-9]/*
/usr/share/locale/*/LC_MESSAGES/*
/usr/share/foobar

than a %files section spanning trough a hundred lines or more.

And that is another evilness of the automated inclusion of files: the new
rpm builder person doesn't have any idea of what is going on.
Someone completly new to rpm packaging can get a clue out of the above example,
and adapt it to his needs when building a given package; but the automated
ones are much more opaque, and the risk to either forgot some files or
either include gibberish are much more high.

--
Ki ça vos våye bén,
Pablo Saratxaga

http://www.ping.be/~pin19314/           PGP Key available, key ID: 0x8F0E4975