Thierry Vignaud wrote:

> WH Bouterse wrote:
> >
> > Since my original post which did generate
> > some feedback, I am now to the point of:
> >
> > Has anyone  successfully installed the
> > mdkrpms from the Contrib sites? (With no probs?)
>
> I did but for the experimental Glx module which is just not part of
> XFree86.
>
> > My X system is totally screwed up and trying
> > the 'XF86Config' from the command line did not
> > "do it" for me. I am about ready to rpm -e all the
> > ones in question and re-introduce the 3.3x ones if
> > no one else has any ideas. BTW the command line,
> > 'xfs -port -1 &'   'xfs -port -7100 &' etc. did not work
> > for me either
>
> if you've got problems with xfs, just replace it in XF86Config by hard
> coding font paths (these are /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts from memory - i'm
> using Solaris Xserver at this moment)
>

> > At one point Frederic Lepied wrote
> > "I'm going to upload an updated set of packages which corrects this
> > problem." ?
> >
> > I assume this means to be patient if I can't
> > properly compile things myself (which is true) and
> > some of these issue will be taken care of by the
> > MandrakeSoft Coding Gurus !:)
>
> <bad_guy_mode>
> You want to test beta software (yes beta as XFree86-4 is (at this
> moment) not as well tested as 3.3.x releases, which requires time,
> people and hardware). So you should have known that there may be bugs or
> problems.
> If you just want full quality software, use version 3.3.6 which is
> stable, fast and have many extensions of v4 (thanks chmou).
> If you don't want to help the community in having a well tested X-4, use
> v3 or don't complain for "future rpm promeses" (this take time to fix
> problems). F Lepied is making good work in building Xfree86-4 RPMS.
> XFree86-4 won't be the standard X server for a while (say Mdk8 with
> Linux-2.4, apache-2, ..,7.x 'll be 'bug fixes/better hardware support'
> releases.
> </bad_guy_mode>
>
> see you
>
> --
> www.linux-mandrake.com
> somewhere between the playstation and the craystation
>         Thierry

here's a tip:  I had much better success in d/l'ing & installing the
binaries.  "Linux-ix86-glibc21" from the xfree86.org site (i went to a
2mb/sec mirror  :)

you'll need to read the "Install" doc.  it's seems like a long process but
i answered yes to everything and then used the "xf86config" command to
configure my setup.

downside to the whole ordeal:  No 32bit color support!  Right now, on my
main linux o/s, I have 32 bpp support.  Tried every option and still nada.
:(  @s such, will stick with v 3.3 of xfree for my main o/s (i work w/ alot
of pictures).