Le dim 09/03/2003 à 22:47, David Walser a écrit :
> > I don't know who it is, but *a lot* of users coming from Windows were
> > having problems with the single click, and they ended up always starting
> > their application twice. I don't think it's an un-bright idea,
> > especially in the corporate environment.
> They do learn eventually though, and once you get used to the efficiency
> of single-click, you never go back.  "Just because it's how Windows does

That's not quite true, since I use double-click myself. Not because I
don't know better (I've been running Linux for the past ten years), but
because of the touchpad on my laptop. The "tap" is too sentitive, and
often when I move my mouse it will click in whatever place my pointer is
at. Setting to doubleclick solves that problem, since a random
double-click happens once every two weeks or so.

> it" or "it's what people are used to" is a stupid argument to do
> anything.  Sometimes it takes a little time to get used to something
> superior, but it works out best in the long run.  And hey, if that
> wasn't true, we'd all be running Windows.

Please, you might not share my view, but don't call my arguments stupid.
If you ever visited a school board that migrated their entire setup to
X-Terminals, you'll notice the deep panic the first couple weeks of the
year, where everyone (students and teachers), click multiple times on
the Star/OpenOffice icon, and the servers start swapping like crazy
before going out of memory.

Single/Double-click is an option that can be easily changed by the user,
and once it's changed, urpmi, updates, even a full reinstall will not
change that setting, unless you reformat the partitions.

But in conclusion, what's really funny: people who complain about that
option are the ones who *are* going to roll out their own CDs anyway ;-)

Jean-Michel