Le lun 10/03/2003 à 02:20, Brook Humphrey a écrit :
> Really most the users are so illiterate it supprises me they can drive cars.

BTW, I don't own a car. Where I live (Montreal, Sherbrooke now), where I
go often (Paris, New York), there is a good mass transit service, so you
don't need a car, which is great because people *ARE* dangerous.

> Remember I'm not talking about computer savvy users here but by far the
> majority of normal everyday business users who just think the computer is a
> tool and if something is different it throws them off for weeks just to
> figure it out. For these types of uses kde cant be beat. Gnome does have it's
> place but for simplicity sake gnome is not it.

Well, Gnome can be hard, *even* for computer savvy people. Back to
gnome-ppp, I just spent like 20 hours so far trying to know what was
going on with a bug report. It's not like that I don't know what I'm
doing, I founded three ISPs for god sakes, I installed hundreds and
hundreds of modems, gave support to thousands of users, and can even
recognize some brands and models of modems just by the sound they make
by connecting!

You would expect just giving the phone number, username and password,
and expect it to connect, but no... You need to edit your pap-secrets
file manually, give your username *twice* in the setup (username and
remotename), and even then, there might still be problems because it
always specifies an MRU of 296, even if you change it in the gnome-ppp
settings, it will give the "mru 296" option to pppd, and this option,
unfortunately, can not be overriden by specifying a MRU in
/etc/ppp/options, so you're screwed if your ISP supports IPV6, because
the RFCs specify that the MRU must be at least 1280, and that the
default should always be 1500. (wow, I'm pissed of and it shows in the
length of my sentences ;-)

I'm very lucky the bug reporter was very patient, and that I had a
spare, non-winmodem, good old external modem, and a Linux box with the
same setup at the other end so I could trace the PPP protocol and make
sure this wasn't an issue with the ISP.

Now imagine I was an entry-level tech support person at an unknown small
regional ISP and I received a phone call from a farmer who just bought a
brand-new Linux box for $200 from Wal-Mart and used gnome because he
read about it in some newspaper. Imagine the conversation...

I'm sure this would have resulted in the guy calling some friend who
would just burn him a copy of Windows because it works with the same
ISP. What's more, it has a calculator and winzip, which the farmer
couldn't find on his Linux box because kdeutils is not installed by
default.

*Anyways*, kdeppp just plain works, username, password, number, connect,
and it's a go!

Jean-Michel