On Mon, 2003-03-10 at 14:36, Brook Humphrey wrote:

> > Er, I don't quite understand that. This is exactly the segment GNOME is
> > aiming at. By default it behaves rather more like Windows than KDE does
> > (double-click is default, window behaviour is similar) and the whole
> > philosophy of the 2.x series is to simplify things down as far as
> > possible...can you back up the argument that KDE 3 is "simpler" than
> > GNOME 2?
>
> Well I would answer you but Jean Michael has done a better job of explaining.

I don't see that anywhere...but then, Cooker seems to have been missing
messages again lately.

> Gnome is fine for more advanced users the kind on this list that is why you
> guys don't see it but there are allot of users out there that think the
> computer is like a toaster you just flip a button and it works. There is no
> use explaining the difference between software and hardware because it's all
> a computer right? If it wont start because windows is messed up they tell you
> the system wont start and when asked they suggest that it simply doesn't turn
> on when in reality windows only needs to be installed.
>
> I'm not trying to start a war here it's just the facts. Allot of users are

Except you keep just posting stuff like the paragraph above, which
*isn't* facts, it's vague assertions. It's true, but unless you start
relating it to specific things in KDE and GNOME, it doesn't wash. If you
*can* relate it to specific things that aren't already being worked on,
I'm sure the GNOME team would like to hear from you. (This isn't
trolling - I genuinely want to know what you think the difference is,
and you haven't spelt it out yet.)

> barely competant to use even microsoft word let alone understand what is
> going on with the system. So for all you power users out there go live it up
> enjoy your gnome but don't ask me to install it by default for my business
> users who can barely even turn a computer on much figure out all the setting
> for the window manager. You guys unless you do the it stuff for some big
> places really don't have any idea.

I just don't see the difference, to be honest. Your average luser runs
an email client and a browser, right? I just don't see the difference
between giving him a desktop with KMail and Konq buttons, and one with
Evo and Galeon buttons...most business users would probably prefer Evo
to KMail, too, since it's a dead ringer for Outlook.

> In finishing there are some outstanding gnome apps. Evolution, xchat, gftp,
> and gaim comes to mind but until the ease of use is there for all their apps
> it's not feasible. By the way I have both installed on my own system not that
> it matters.

xchat and gftp aren't GNOME apps, they're GTK+ apps, not part of the
GNOME project. There's a difference. They don't integrate with the GNOME
framework at all (afaik), intentionally. gaim is almost the same - its
GNOME integration is optional and currently very limited.
--
adamw