François Pons wrote:
> Le lun 10/03/2003 à 14:22, Buchan Milne a écrit :
>

>>While we are here, any chance to have gui tools for
>>1)Selecting how often to run automatic updates
>

> This could be great indeed, any idea how to improve urpmi/rpmdrake is
> welcome as next version will be designed soon now.

A request from the [EMAIL PROTECTED] list was to have a delay
available, so that you could run updates daily, but never get an update
which was less than X days old. This would allow you to run with delay
of 0 on a test server, and a greater delay on production machines (10-15
days seems to be about optimal according to some studies), allowing you
to have peace-of-mind that you will not unknowingly install a broken
update on a production server, assuming you keep an eye on the test
server or the security lists.

>>2)Adding entries to /etc/urpmi/skip.list
>>I had a bad experience when testing the above script the first time,
>>since I had samba-server-ldap running in production on a server, and
>>urpmi --auto-select decided the samba-server-2.2.7-2mdk from updates
>>should replace samba-server-ldap-2.2.7a-3mdk running on the server ...
>>resulting in about 2 minutes of downtime wrt. samba while I scp'ed
>>ldap-enabled RPMS to it etc).
>

> You may want to use --bug $LOG/`date '+%Y%m%d%H%M%S'` to the urpmi
> command line, so that you have a per session based update log (so that
> if something fail, you have a bug report to send me too).

The problem was AFAIK not due to, or fixable by urpmi, since we have
samba-server obsolete samba-server-ldap, and vice versa, to allow people
to switch between them easily. This is really a hack due to samba only
having compile-time configurable account backends in 2.2.x, solved in
3.0 with run-time configurable (including multi) account backends.

> Just create a compressed archive maybe on the fly to avoid keeping too
> much place if necessary ?

This would be of value on non-production machines, but on production
machines you only want to know if something broke, and if so only
minimally why ... but it would be useful to have more than just one day
history ...

Regards,
Buchan

- --