Adam Williamson wrote:
On Mon, 2003-03-10 at 14:36, Brook Humphrey wrote:
Well I would answer you but Jean Michael has done a better job of explaining.

I don't see that anywhere...but then, Cooker seems to have been missing
messages again lately.

The gmane newsgroup I use to read the list seems to get everything. Only like a third of the messages hit my Inbox :o(

barely competant to use even microsoft word let alone understand what is going on with the system. So for all you power users out there go live it up

Hey, don't knock people for not getting along with Word, it's the most badly designed piece of software in existence. Even if you're a power user you can't necessarily figure that mess out.

enjoy your gnome but don't ask me to install it by default for my business users who can barely even turn a computer on much figure out all the setting for the window manager. You guys unless you do the it stuff for some big places really don't have any idea.

I just don't see the difference, to be honest. Your average luser runs
an email client and a browser, right? I just don't see the difference
between giving him a desktop with KMail and Konq buttons, and one with
Evo and Galeon buttons...most business users would probably prefer Evo
to KMail, too, since it's a dead ringer for Outlook.

I don't understand the assumption that people actually like the Outlook UI. It sucks, yet all these misguided developers keep cloning it! Even MS knows the UI sucks, and they're totally changing it for Outlook 11 (which sounds like it will rock...well, as much as an MS app can). Go MS!

In finishing there are some outstanding gnome apps. Evolution, xchat, gftp, and gaim comes to mind but until the ease of use is there for all their apps it's not feasible. By the way I have both installed on my own system not that it matters.

xchat and gftp aren't GNOME apps, they're GTK+ apps, not part of the
GNOME project. There's a difference. They don't integrate with the GNOME
framework at all (afaik), intentionally. gaim is almost the same - its
GNOME integration is optional and currently very limited.

Gaim isn't a gnome app either. gaim-applet is.