what do you thing of this?
It's a 5 minutes-made glade screenshot. The tree and the list are unfilled, so
there are hidden, but should be there.

The idea is to try  to autodetect src, makefile, configure and other stuff
location, and try to parse Makefile to find out what the install process is. But
the user can change all this. The application provide a tree to find easier xhere
are files, and a text editor to find out how to install.

reactions?

dam's

Serge Lussier a écrit :

> Geoffrey Lee wrote:
>

> > netscape only comes in binary, you see.
>
> I give up Hahaha!
>

> > > no,no,no ....
> > > I just wanted to suggest to give the choice of an alternative
> > > installer/uninstaller for non existant RPM-built sources,
> > > or if I prefer not to go RPM way for that specific software ...
> >
> > the biggest problem is that because of all the different way the Makefile
> > behaves it's realy hard to make okne which can work for ALL packages, plsu
> > some packages don't run through configure e.g. documentation. i can make one
> > which should work for almost anything, but not all. e.g. samba puts its
> > configure in the source directory.
> >
> > so you would have to untar the source , and tehn cd to samba-2.0.7, and then
> > cd to source, and then run ./configure ..
> >

> Samba: How I could be screwed up if I can't find the way it works.
> I then have to dig and find the doc about how to proceed  ...
> Thus, the utility could interactively let me search within the source tree
> where is the procedure's doc and then fill the informations the utility need to
> proceed.
> If it is not that complicated, then this utility is worth it.
>
> It is then easy to start to catch & parse the <make/gcc/ld> stdout and sterr
> to get some error msg, file installation and location etc ...
>
> Ok, let say that the utility is also screwed 'cause that package is so much
> "non-standard".
> Then I 'll wait for or try to find the RPM...
> hehehe
>
> Thank you for your informations Geoffrey.
>
> I don't want to be annoying.
> I think I told enough about this topic.
>
> Regards,
> Serge Lussier