On Sunday 16 March 2003 09:51, Adam Williamson wrote:
> It's just that the kernel is an important package, and I think it gets a
> bit confusing if there's one that's getting quite a bit away from the
> other five versions...sure it's in contribs, but kernel is so important
> maybe it needs stricter control than most contribs packages...

So maybe there should be an official "-mm" kernel, and a separate "-dt" kernel
in contribs?

If that were the case, I think a decent number of multimedia users (given
enough information) would use the -dt kernel, while almost nobody would use
the official -mm kernel, at least not enough people to be worth the effort to
make yet another kernel build or the disk space/bandwidth to distribute it.

In other words, in my opinion, things are fine as they are now.

By the way, one minor problem with the -mm kernel (at least as of the
2.4.21-0.14mdk release):

If you build a custom kernel starting from kernel-multimedia-source, the label
it tries to install in lilo is too long, and you get a lilo error; you have
to go in and edit lilo.conf manually. Since I always rename and reorder all
my kernels anyway, I'm not complaining--and I doubt anyone who builds and
installs custom kernels, especially starting from anything but the "standard"
kernel source, is likely to have a problem editing lilo.conf.