Hi,

On Tue, 23 May 2000, Anton Graham wrote:

> Submitted 23-May-00 by Fernando Perez:
> |
> | won't it work to have in the /iso directory something like
> | hydrogen-beta-current.iso which is in fact just a symlink to the real file,
> | and which gets updated as new beta versions are introduced to point to the
> | most up to date one? This would provide a constant name for remote rsync
> | users, while still allowing the Mandrake folks to keep an archive of each
> | beta version explicitly available. And it wouldn't cost any more in space,
> | since it's just a link. This sounds painfully obvious so maybe there's a good
> | reason why it doesn't work and I just don't see it (I don't have much
> | experience with rsync).
>
> Most people who use rsync use the -av options.  This would preserve
> symlinks  They would likely need to drop the -a and specify the
> filename to avoid a full download.    (That works for me locally, but
> I haven't tried by remote).

How about hardlinks? They appear as regular files for everything, without the
added space waste. the iso-current hardlink can be deleted and remade to
point to the updated images as they appear without further disruptions. Or is
there any reason why rsync wouldn't work this way? AFAIK hardlinks are
indistinguishable from "real" files by anyone, and the only tell-tale sign is
the reference count being >1.

Just wondering if there's a simple way to implement this for the benefit of
the rsync'ers and everyone's bandwidth.

Regards,

Fernando