On Tue, 18 Mar 2003, Narfi Stefansson wrote:

> I believe that Steffen is right that mjpegtools was compiled without
> MMX in the 9.0 rpms.
> When I compile for i586 and athlon side by side and I enable MMX for
> both, I only get a maximum of 10-15% speed difference.
> The difference in with/without MMX is of course huge :-)

No package will be built with MMX optimizations by default as there are
Pentium out there without those extensions. However, if your application
dynamically links against some optimized DSOs that would be fine to put
those libraries in */lib/mmx/* or */lib/sse{,2}/*. But you will be stuck
if they decided to dlopen() their plugins/libraries.

Bye,
Gwenole.