On Wednesday 19 March 2003 09:16, Gwenole Beauchesne wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Mar 2003, Narfi Stefansson wrote:
> > I believe that Steffen is right that mjpegtools was compiled without
> > MMX in the 9.0 rpms.
> > When I compile for i586 and athlon side by side and I enable MMX for
> > both, I only get a maximum of 10-15% speed difference.
> > The difference in with/without MMX is of course huge :-)
>
> No package will be built with MMX optimizations by default as there are
> Pentium out there without those extensions. However, if your application
> dynamically links against some optimized DSOs that would be fine to put
> those libraries in */lib/mmx/* or */lib/sse{,2}/*. But you will be stuck
> if they decided to dlopen() their plugins/libraries.

I can understand that in some way, but mjpegtools without mmx is just not
usable. Who the hell would use mpeg2enc on a "whatever-pentium-w/o-mmx". What
a processor would that be , a pentium 90 ? mpeg2enc is slow as hell even on
Ghz machines , for what should it be used on such an old machine ? Anyway ,
the "alternatives" solution sounds reasonable to me (easy to make and
usefull).

--
Regards
Steffen