One thing I do like, which Red Hat as been doing for a while, is allowing
the selection and deselection of package groups.

I can do a custom Red Hat 6.2 install, select "Web Server, FTP Server, SMB
Server, NFS Server, Development, and Utilities", change one or two
individual packages, and do the install, getting exactly what I'm looking
for.  I know then that I'm not getting the Mars-NWE/Novell connectivity
packages which I don't want even though this machine is a server, I'm not
getting multimedia and X because this machine is a server, and I'm not
getting the printing stuff because I don't have a printer.  I also then know
that I'm getting the development and utilities that I want, because this is
a telnet/SSH server that I use a lot remotely, and I need those tools.
Being able to add them to the install with a click of a mouse is excellent.

The package groups give you a lot of control over the installation, and can
select and deselect entire categories of software for those that need to
make machines with specific purposes in mind.  I think this is one thing
that Red Hat has over a number of other distributions.  You're not stuck
with their "Server, Workstation, or Custom" selection, and you're not stuck
with a giant list of 1,000 packages to choose from.  It's a good balance.
And for those that like that, it's there, even an "Everything" selection, so
that you can go through the list of 1,000 packages.

For those anti-Red Hatters, I don't use Red Hat for my personal systems, or
even my work systems.  I do support Red Hat though, and started with them
before I discovered Mandrake.  They are a good distribution.  I am a big
Mandrake proponent, as anyone that knows me will admit.

I guess that was a little more than 2 cents worth.

Don Head
Linux Mentor
Wave Technologies, Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]