Buchan Milne wrote:
> On Fri, 4 Apr 2003, David Walser wrote:
> Don't you know Mandrake provides free hosting for small scripts, with free
> CVS support ;-)?
> http://cvs.mandrakesoft.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/contrib-SPECS/cursor_themes/choose_cursor?rev=1.1&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup

Which I'll get if I make a package for contrib :o)

>> I could make a package for contrib too
>
> You may get more patches by putting it in contrib (not from me though,
> perl is greek to me ;-)).
>
>> I was actually thinking about
>> that a few minutes ago.  I think I should add rsync command line options
>> support first before doing that (will take some work, probably won't
>> happen all that soon).
>
> I would be more interested in config files and multiple source support (I

Well the current script is just a front end to rsync.  It's basically just rsync + RPM
file migration and renaming (it can migrate packages from cooker to contrib and vice
versa w/out deleting and redownloading).

It would make more sense to accept rsync command line options and be compatible with
that.

Another script that could be a front end to this, supporting config files, might be
interesting/useful.  Multiple source support would be good too, since you currently
have to make new copies of my script for each distro you use it for (aka Cooker, 9.1,
and 9.1 updates are all different distros).

> will probably use it now for updating jpackage and plf, since I have local
> cooker mirrors, but jpackage and PLF I currently rsync over dialup.

Yeah dialup, that's how I spend most of my time using it.  It definately helps with
the bandwidth it saves.

I supposed I shouldn't call it cooksync, because as you point out it works for more
than Cooker.  It in fact should work for any RPM repository where RPM filenames are in
the standard format (so it could work for RedHat Rawhide).

> BTW, how's this for an idea:
> -Be compatible with urpmi, making a local (file://) urpmi source
> -adding a config option for the urpmi source with the details needed for
> rsync, urpmi.mirror (does this conflict with Olivier's sutff?) would
> update the local urpmi source via rsync, then update urpmi's hdlists
> (urpmi.update)

Well, I currently have the Cooker mirror, and the urpmi that's using it on different
machines.  The Cooker mirror is a network source.  I think more people would be using
it like that than having say, the Cooker mirror on a running Cooker machine itself,
though the idea of having it automatically update the urpmi source is interesting.

> This would be useful, since most uses of this script would be mirror
> urpmi-enabled rpm souces? (And if not, urpmi could ignore them?).

Not necessarily, but even for cases where it is, I think in most of those cases the
mirror and the urpmi are on different machines.

> Then all it needs is a gui. And when fpons gets to adding something like
> --repackage to urpmi via rsync, we already have some code/experience in
> place.
>
> Regards,
> Buchan

Yeah, my code may very well help with that (the --repackage thing).  Your ideas about
it automatically updating the urpmi source at that point become much more
useful/interesting.

I'll start (when I get a chance) with adding support for rsync CLI arguments, and I'll
let you know when that's done, then we'll see where you want to go from there.