On Tuesday 03 June 2003 06:03 pm, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > This may already be a well known issue, and then maybe not
> > so I figured better safe to say something.
> > The install kernel "alt1" was able to complete an install
> > and zap the preinstalled MS Windows XP Home.
> > None of the other kernels would work, nor would the machine
> > boot after the install completed.

> At what point in the boot process did things stop on the install kernels?

Immediately.  Something obviously about the kernel itself starting up
and very solid hardware incompatability with the kernel(s).  I don't think
it even made it to init.rd.  Any of them, except for "alt1" image which
did not have the issue.

Same exact behavior from all the kernels installed on the machine
by the "alt1" install process.  Failsafe, everything.

Extremely brief lilo message after enter to continue or timer expired, and
freeze, black screen.  All cases.

> > Let me know if you would like more info while my machine is
> > still only kernel-custom mdk 9.1.  I intent to find the exact kernel
> > options at fault.

> How much memory, and what display card?

768RAM, NVidia video

> Have you tried to boot Thomas Backlund's boot floppy?
> http://www.netikka.net/tmb/9.1/

No, I used a rescue CD image using a modified RH 8 2.4.19
kernel.   The laptop does not have a floppy drive.

The machine though is a nice machine.
To be quite specific Tosh - #243-S255

Again, based on the kernel building I have been doing, starting with
the kernel source that was on there by default, what's it, 2.4.21-013mdk.

I thought just turning off acpi and apic would fix it, but those are not
the issue.

As it stands right now, I have turned off all non-essential everything,
that means no USB, no sound, etc., no SMP, build P4 specific, and it is very
happy.

Intel 82801BA/CA/DB PCI Bridge
IRQ Router PIIX [8086/24c0] 00:1f.0
The toshiba "fixes" say:  "Not a supported Toshiba laptop"
Realtek RTL8139 loaded
... lots of this stuff, I thought these were "interesting"...
IRQ 10 is being very shared, 5 devices.

No downloads / patches from toshiba, all straight source
from 2.4.21-013mdk so far.

And I had trouble with EXT3 that the "alt1" image decided for me,
until I rebuild the kernel with EXT3 Y instead of M.  - I don't know
what is in the actual builds but I built my source "wrong" that way
initially and had to be sure to say "Y" include in kernel.

HDD is PIO mode apparently right now also.  I forget how to check,
I'll do that later when I get to it.

FYI
THX
-AEF