w9ya wrote:
> On Tuesday 17 June 2003 10:50 pm, Greg Meyer wrote:
>
>>I think it is interesting that some think it is easier as two, while
others
>>find it easier as one.  Personally I never use it since urpmi is my best
>>freind now
>
> Oh yeah, teach them urmpi and command line...lol.

Did Greg even vaguely suggest anyone else should use urpmi? Please, if
you don't visit the list often (as you state), at least *read* the posts?

>>>2 - Installing ahs nothing to do with "how do I start a program" etc.
>>>i.e.
>>
>>Sure it does.  Once it's installed, how do I start it.
>>

>>>Or put another way; if a user can use some other op system's installer
>>>without having to think about it, and a linux system can be even better
>>>by being more infomative but just as easy to use, then it is a win-win
>>>situation.
>>
>>I don't disagree with your points here.  I was only trying to say that at
>>one point, installing Windows software is now easy because people are used
>>to it after all these years.  At one point, they didn't know how to do it
>>there either, but they had to learn.
>

> Well for the last 5 years or more, installing in Windows is point and
click on
> a single icon for downloaded programs.

You mean on Windows I actually have to download files? How? Where? What
if I don't like this one, where do I find another one? And if I can
install it like that, can I uninstall it like that? And why, if I can
uninstall everything in one place, can't I install everything from the
same place?

And what about files called .msi files?

Anyway, on Mandrake, you can just double click on any rpm you
downloaded, and it will install it, and anything it needs.

Unfortunately, double clicking on an rpm on a CD still gives some
problem ....

> It doesn't get any easier than that,
> unless you get really creative. i.e. One program to get and install
software.

Windows (until the Windows installer) had one program for each one you
wanted to install. With msi, it's slightly better, but not much.

> Now make that same program tell me about what I already have and you
have a
> winner.

Yes, this I agree with, but please don't punt Windows as being the
utopia of software installation, it can't even tell me which program
installed the mess of dll's all over my system. If it was, we wouldn't
need so many MCSEs.

Buchan

- --
Cellphone * Work            +27 82 472 2231 * +27 21 8828820x202

Please click on http://www.cae.co.za/disclaimer.htm to read our
e-mail disclaimer or send an e-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] for a copy.