On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 03:32:21PM +0200, Buchan Milne wrote:

> Keld Jørn Simonsen wrote:
>

> > what about
> >
> >   urpmi --auto-select --test
> >
> > run it in cron.daily - or remove --test to just get it done.
>
> I suspect people are looking for an interactive, user-usable tool (like
> RH and SuSE and Windows have) rather than another cron job (I just have
> urpmi --auto-select running from cron ...). So, this method can not be
> used, since the non-root user cannot run urpmi.update.

The man was asking for a tool to notify him whether there be any updates
to run, on a regulary basis. I think then my line above is an answer to
his request. Anyway it is up to him if he can use the suggestion.
I find it nice that others are doing it in the same way, like you.

I think the GUI you are suggesting is provided with Mandrake update.
It makes no sense (to me, at least) to do package maintenance for the
system without being root.

Best regards
keld