> All that it needs to do is run MandrakeUpdate, or if the user just wants
> to see what has happened, diff the current descriptions file (or some
> other convenient file maintained by urpmi) against the one on the
> server, and show what has been added.

Why run MandrakeUpdate ? It requires root privileges and this applet will be run by
any user ...

> > But how could this applet know if the user has access to Internet ?
> > Should it care about that ?
>
> It should not care about anything but whether the file
> (description/list/synthesis.hdlist etc etc) for the source configured in
> urpmi as an update source has been updated.

It just has to compare the last modified time of the hdlist or synthesis in
/var/lib/urpmi/ and in the mirrors.
It's very quick to check the attributes of this files on ftp mirrors.
How can we do with http mirrors ? Use lynx -dump ?

> This will change it's
> colour. The user should then click on it, it should get the updated
> decriptions file, and show what has changed, with a button "Run updates
> now" which launches MandrakeUpdate after the user enters the root password.
>
> Remember that most of the time it should be running as a normal user,
> and thus should not run 'urpmi.update' or anything else that requires
> elevated priveleges.

I agree :)

--
Olivier Blin