Buchan Milne wrote:

But, note that it seems this patch only makes it *possible* to enable
auto-creation, which AFAIK defaults to off. If it is enabled, it can
auto-create mail subdirectories and auto-subscribe a user to certain
mailboxes, but even if this *is* enabled, manual mailbox creation does
not do this. While mailbox autocreation may not be desired on some
systems, on any ldap system, it may be preferable to something like
kolab (which I still want to investigate packaging, I have a package
already, but it needs a lot of work to get it working still ...)

Luca (Olivetti), I have just added this patch (or actually the more
up-to-date one from Simon Matter's SRPM), which at present I have done
as another conditional (--with autocreate), even though I think it would
be safe to apply the patch (I will test both with and without the
directives in /etc/imapd.conf to see) by default.

I think I already know the answer to this, but are you compiling against db41? Are you building under a (modified) 91 or cooker environment? Finally, will you be posting the srpm on your site when you get finished? I would be very interested in rebuilding on my (slightly modified) 91 mailserver build. - The auto creation would be very useful to me (as you pointed out) in an ldap environment.

Also of note, (it's my understanding) the mailbox creation & subscribing happens when the new user logs-in to the account for the first time, not upon reciept of a mail when the mailbox does not exits. (I know there was some concern about this in an earlier thread.)

Another issue is that there are some scripts (cpmsg,
bsd2cyrus,folderxfer,batchreconstruct,inboxfer) in Simon Matter's
cyrus-imapd for converting from mbox (ie UW-IMAP) format, which you
don't have. Since we need to convert from mbox anyway, I would like to
add this. Any objection? Should I make a subpackage (they seem to depend
on formail, thus will depend on procmail, which would be a bit of a
waste ;-)).

I think the idea of a sub package would be good for the conversion utilities. (Not having to worry about added dependancies is a bonus for me, as I would not need/use the conversion utilities.)

Thanks,