On Sat, 2 Aug 2003, David Walser wrote:

> Joe Baker wrote:
> > My frustration with KDM is trying to get it to answer
> > XDMCP requests.
>
> What's so frustrating?

The fact that you can't configure this in the KDE Control Center module,
whereas on Redhat, there is a very visible menu option for configuring the
display manager (gdm-config), which is trivial to use to enable XDMCP.

> You can comment out Enable=false (under
[XDMCP]) in /usr/share/config/kdm/kdmrc and restart KDM,
> and I think you can also enable it with msec.

Hmm, except that (at least in 9.1, I don't have cooker at home ...) in
draksec, the descriptions are very bad, the following descriptions are
very confusing:
allow_x_connections
allow_xserver_to_listen

(no mention of XDMCP, remote logins, or anything descriptive)

And even the manpage for mseclib doesn't shed more light on this. Maybe
titi has fixed it already (last time I ran draksec on cooker there were
better descriptions).

> We have XDMCP disabled by default :o( but that also applies to GDM.

Maybe in lower security levels (<=3?) XDMCP should be enable by default?

Anyway, it would be nice if there was some tool to configure reserve
servers in /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers, since lines like this:
:1 local reserve /usr/X11R6/bin/X :1 vt8
:2 local reserve /usr/X11R6/bin/X :2 vt9
:3 local reserve /usr/X11R6/bin/X :3 vt10
:4 local reserve /usr/X11R6/bin/X :4 vt11
:5 local reserve /usr/X11R6/bin/X :5 vt12

allow kdm to create new X servers on demand, and causes KDE to show the
"Start New Session" menu entry, which gives us most of "fast user
switching" for free ...

Regards,
Buchan

Please click on http://www.cae.co.za/disclaimer.htm to read our
e-mail disclaimer or send an e-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED] for a copy.