Buchan Milne wrote:
> On Sat, 2 Aug 2003, David Walser wrote:
>
>> Joe Baker wrote:
>> > My frustration with KDM is trying to get it to answer
>> > XDMCP requests.
>>
>> What's so frustrating?
>
> The fact that you can't configure this in the KDE Control Center module,

Yeah there's too many things like that in KDE unfortunately :o(

> whereas on Redhat, there is a very visible menu option for configuring the
> display manager (gdm-config), which is trivial to use to enable XDMCP.

Well on newer RH's you also have to fix the Xaccess file before XDMCP works.
Completely stupid.

>> You can comment out Enable=false (under
> [XDMCP]) in /usr/share/config/kdm/kdmrc and restart KDM,
>> and I think you can also enable it with msec.
>
> Hmm, except that (at least in 9.1, I don't have cooker at home ...) in
> draksec, the descriptions are very bad, the following descriptions are
> very confusing:
> allow_x_connections
> allow_xserver_to_listen

Yeah, even now the descriptions could be better.  The descriptions are a *little*
better in the mseclib manpage.
The first one is XDMCP BTW.

> (no mention of XDMCP, remote logins, or anything descriptive)
>
> And even the manpage for mseclib doesn't shed more light on this. Maybe
> titi has fixed it already (last time I ran draksec on cooker there were
> better descriptions).
>
>> We have XDMCP disabled by default :o( but that also applies to GDM.
>
> Maybe in lower security levels (<=3?) XDMCP should be enable by default?

Agreed.

> Anyway, it would be nice if there was some tool to configure reserve
> servers in /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers, since lines like this:
> :1 local reserve /usr/X11R6/bin/X :1 vt8
> :2 local reserve /usr/X11R6/bin/X :2 vt9
> :3 local reserve /usr/X11R6/bin/X :3 vt10
> :4 local reserve /usr/X11R6/bin/X :4 vt11
> :5 local reserve /usr/X11R6/bin/X :5 vt12
>
> allow kdm to create new X servers on demand, and causes KDE to show the
> "Start New Session" menu entry, which gives us most of "fast user
> switching" for free ...

The default kdm config could definitely be better.  Besides that, it'd also be nice if
it used Xwilling by default.