On Sun 2003-08-03 at 20:52:16 +0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 19:25, Buchan Milne wrote:
> > But maybe the first user that logs in should be assumed to be the
> > "admin"?
>
> Too risky. What happens when you forget about this and put hundreds of
> boxes out there whose first user will be an admin?

Then they will have an administration icon, which, when clicked, will
tell them nicely that this will allow them set up and administer basic
system functionality and that they need to provide the administrators
password to continue (like mcc & friends).

I guess, this is the time they will call the administrator or simply
ignore it. In short, I do not see it being more or less risky than
having an menu entry for mcc and other admin tools in the menus, as we
currently have.

Bye,

        Benjamin.

PS And IMHO, if you put our hundreds of boxes, without ever having
   logged in, something strange is going on. Logging in is part of the
   testing/QA process before handing out the box resp. of the
   underlying image you use for the boxes.