On Tue, 2003-08-05 at 04:41, Leon Brooks wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 19:29, Buchan Milne wrote:
> > You see, instead of making it easy for a user to log in as
> > root to do tasks, we must remove the necessity for them to do the
> > tasks ...
>
> Agree. The one task which my wife needs a root password to do is printer
> management. If it were possible to avert this OOtB, that would be good.

Absolutely, and then make sure that the utility does what it says it can
do. I've lost count how many times I've clicked KDE su's keep password
and then been asked for the password the next time. If it is not meant
to keep the password at a certain security level then the check-box
should not be there, be greyed out, whatever. Try "Ignore" to continue
with your current privileges and the same dialogue returns.

Explain that type of thing to a teacher, trying to work with a class of
30 odd screaming 11/12 year olds, with no time to discuss the niceties
of security, because Netscape has screwed up again on two or three
terminals. They'll be logged in as root next time, it's a question of
priorities and self preservation.

I joined a company 20 years ago who had totally solved the diverse
permission problems on the Altos unix machines they supplied to
customers to run their software. They had a shell script that did chmod
777 on everything, solved the problem, perfectly.

--
Dave Cotton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>