Sorry, I can't say anything for Windows 98 because I've never used it more
than a couple times as I don't have it installed. However, my friend has a
17G WDC and runs Win98 and his drive seemed to be working fine and he had
4 drives in there I think. However, on this list I remember at least 4
people report DMA not working on larget WDC drives. Maybe a call to their
tech support is in order, but they may just say they don't support Linux
and not help you. But frankly with these problems I am wanting to get my
drive replaced. Do yu know how much slower things are with DMA turned off?

Anyway, to recap, I know nothing about Win98 problems, nut my friend's
Win98 and WDC drive works fine. As for Linux, when I have DMA turned on I
get constant errors and data corruption. When I have hdparm run it just
hangs the drive. Are any of these three symptoms similar to yours? I can
live without the hdparm thing, as that's not guarnteed to work anyway, but
having to leave DMA off really bothers me.