On Tue, 06 Jun 2000, you wrote:
> As far as how much slower the drive is with dma turned off...well, I have
> an older 3 gig fugistu that is non ata66.  With the dma turned on, I get
> about 12meg/sec transfer.  With my wd 13gig I get about 1.3 or so.  So it
> is seriously hurting the drives performance.
>
> B. K. Barley

http://kt.linuxcare.com/kernel-traffic/kt20000214_54.epl

2nd item

Your BEST chance at a resolution is to use the 486 distro or any alternative
386 distros, as you can see from the article.  Your best chances in the
future involve NOT buying WD drives nor any computers that use them.

With REAL code, the WD is found wanting--it has been out of spec for a long
time, bad on the timing and blowing off the CRC.  Now, as they say, with
Pentium-compiled drivers becoming more common, the jig is up.

You have a hardware problem and it is named Western Digital.

Civileme