On Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 10:13:18PM +0200, Guillaume Rousse wrote:
> Ainsi parlait Keld Jørn Simonsen :
> > How can you stop the virus flooding in cooker?
> >
> > I would like to just stop all mail with some selected
> > set of attachments like .pif and .exe - how is this doable, and is it
> > standard in the MTA?
> for postfix, use body_check directive
> in /etc/postfix/main.cf
> body_checks = regexp:/etc/postfix/body_check
>
> in /etc/postfix/body_checks
> /^TVqQAAMAAAAEAAAA\/\/8AALgAAAAAAAAAQAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA$/
> REJECT sobig.f
>
> > Would be nice to announce 9.2 with the ability to just ignore virus like
> > this.
> We are talking of a mail server there, aka stuff supposed to be used by
> competent people only. I don't see the point of providing them default
> configuration that won't match their needs.

Well, people are more or less competent. I have been running MTAs under
Unix/linux for more than 20 years, and I have tweeked sendmail rules and
hacked sendmail a number of times, but I did not know how to tweek postfix
to handle sobit.f in a proper way. Better put our collective wisdom down
into our defaults.

Anyway, I would like also to know how to handle things like sobit.f and
all of the associated error mail in a reasonable way for POP/IMAP
clients.

> > And the MTA should not snd any messages back when this is done, as the
> > sender most likely is not the real sender.
> the REJECT directive here just send the mail back to the real sender during
> the STMP transaction, which is the virus here.

Sounds sensible enough.

Best regards
Keld