Ainsi parlait Pierre Jarillon :
> Le Vendredi 12 Septembre 2003 17:07, Michael Scherer a écrit :
> > > It would be nice to make a package for Mandrake and
> > > Debian with the same tool.
> >
> > what would be the benefit ?
>
> To reduce the amount of time needed and spent to make packages.
You're kidding ?
Have you ever packaged anything ?

Supporting multiple versions is already a nightmare on one single
distribution. Supporting several distribution is even worst. And i my
experience was about noarch package for mdk/redhat only. I can't imagine what
i could be for native packages on distributions as different as Debian and
Mandrake.

> > being able to install the same package on the 2 distros ?
>
> Why not ? This is a good aim.
Package are not tarball. The more general you are, the less added value you
provide.

> > I don't know the debian policy, but i know that our binary are not fully
> > working on debian, and that mandrake naming scheme is different from
> > the debian ones, so, dependancy will be unsatisfied.
>
> This is for LSB... And a long job...
LSB is not supposed to make sure the C++ compiler is the same on both distro.
You can't share C++ software if they're not build with the same compiler.

LSB isn't supposed either to enforce the rpm version used. You can't share
package if they use too different rpm format.

LSB won't enforce neither compiler flags, optimisations policies, man page
compression. Or if they do, they'll use the less constraining ones.

LSB is mostly pushed by commercial companies that want to produce their
package themselves, so as to be able to reach the maximum audience, without
distributing their source to third-party packagers. You can't wait for
miracles.

> > So, maybe you think of something which can produce the files neeeded to
> > produce a package for each distro, which would be quite interesting,
> > but, not so useful, IMHO.
>
> This was my idea. Your opinion is interesting.
If you're interested in xml, see what was done in JPackage project to produce
redhat and mandrake spec from the same base XML file.

http://www.zarb.org/horde/chora/cvs.php/xml-spec?rt=jpackage&Horde=37124a6d30cd6b3e1288db79a6aefda6
--
Guillaume Rousse
The probability of a hard-disk crash increases with the number of days since