Well, I read this thread (actually only part of it because people tend to
repeat themselves) and I am quite amazed about some of the unfounded rumours
about .RPM- and .DEB-package formats.

*Both* check for dependencies. DEBs are NOT TGZs with scripts attached
(that's SLP, used by Stampede Linux).

The main "usability features" of APT are:

1. It manages multiple sources for packages, eg. you could have a CD-ROM,
multiple FTP-sites (stable packages, unstable packages, security updates,
...) and some files on your harddisk. All those packages would be in a
central database which also includes dependency-information. The tool simply
downloads a tgz-file from the FTP-server and merges it into the local
database. This is (AFAIK) also possible with kpackage (not sure if it works
with remote packages, though).

2. When trying to upgrade a package it will also try to update all other
packages which depend on it (in your Gimp 2.0 example most of Gnome would
propably be suggested for an update too).

3. When you try to install/uninstall a package other packages depend upon
(which cannot be fixed) you are warned (same as in RPM). There are also
"recommended" packages as well as packages which exclude each other. (same
as in RPM?)

4. You can run "unattended" upgrades (i.e. without having to check each
package for an upgrade) simply from the command-line. This would check for
"stable" updates to installed packages, which don't result in any
dependency-problems and install them. This even works when updating the
whole distribution.

5. dpkg itself (which is the equivalent to the "rpm"-command-line-tool) has
several sets of "force"-switches, one of them ignoring dependencies, which
is NOT the default! dpkg is not really that much better than rpm, it's
mainly apt which is the "more powerful" feature.

That is propably all that really matters (to the user) in the ways of
choosing a "right" package-format. Also keep in mind that RPM is currently
being / has recently been refreshed...

Michael