On Wed, 21 Jun 2000, Pablo Saratxaga wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 20, 2000 at 11:53:32PM +0200, Amien Salie wrote:
> > Someone once posed the question,
> > " Why did Unix fail where Microsoft succeeded?"
> > And the simple answer to this was ....
> > "the Unix vendors were devided against themselves"
>
> And the simple answer is simply dead wrong.
>
> A better answer would be to look at what were at that time the targetted
> markets, the price of the different softwares, the requirements on hardware
> and the price of such hardware...

Heh.  True.  At the time Windows was making inroads into business, you
needed a mainframe (or at the least an extremely powerful PC) to run Unix.
Your average desktop machine just didn't have the power.  Unix on the
desktop wasn't really a possibility until very recently (relatively
speaking -- seems recent to me, but I've been computing since 1982; ah
the heady days of the 16K computer plugged into the TV, those were the
days).  If someone hadn't been kind enough to drop a SPARCstation on my
desk for free during the early 90's, I'd have never spent the money on
a Unix workstation.  Today, it's actually cheaper to build a Unix box
(thanks to Micros~1 Windows license fees).  Funny how things change...