On Tue, 20 Jun 2000, Bryan Paxton wrote:
> heh *nod* you put a nail on everything I was basically trying to go for.
> And like Chris Armstrong, my original thoughts have changed a bit... Going
> from a complete dpkg system to rather wanting to improve on RPM.
>
> But the question is, to rip the guts out of RPM or to simply build tools(both
> CLI and UI) on top of RPM...

I think the answer is to simply build tools on top of RPM.  After all, that's
what Debian did, except they did it on top of pkg_add (or whatever it was,
I don't recall -- pkg_add rings a bell but I think that's because I also
admin two BSD boxes).  In any case, just as Debian built some really nice
tools on top of their basic package installation tools, Mandrake could build
some very nice tools on top of RPM to do everything Debian's package mgmt
system does, without sacrificing RPM & RedHat compatibility.