On Thu, 25 Sep 2003, Tarax wrote:

> BTW, given a try yesterday to various kernel available (enterprise, mm, tmb &
> 2.6) and the box boots on each :-)
> Always used enterprise to enjoy my Gb ram but, on a first try, couldn't have
> audigy driver running :(
> So, I'm actually using 2.4.22-10mm with wich my Audigy Platinum works out of
> the box with audigy driver (nice dvd experience with xine, xmms works with
> libao output - not with alsa, alsaplayer reads CDs w/o troubles, but
> alsamixer crashes complaining with "snd_ctl_open failed for default: no such
> file or directory" and have no sound with grip) . The only thing is that,
> with mm, I'm stuck to 896 Mb Ram ! Not that I need the rest every days, but
> from my point of view, a _MultiMedia_ dedicated kernel (the one you're
> supposed to run to make video, audio, 3D... stuff isn't it ?) should
> definitely support one or two gigz Ram !? Or maybe the smp multimedia kernel
> does and I can run it on my single cpu box ?

Read the description:
smp-mm is like the enterprise default kernel. So yes, it will support >
1GB and you can still run it on up box (default enterprise is smp as
well). It might be logical if I had changed the name, but it is already so
long...
ofcourse, alsamixer crashes if you do not use an alsa driver. if it's an
audigy1 perhaps it works with snd-emu10k1?

d.