On Sunday 28 September 2003 9:05 am, Pierre Jarillon honored me with this
communique:
> Le Dimanche 28 Septembre 2003 13:48, Nora Etukudo a écrit :
> > On Sun, Sep 28, 2003 at 10:19:44AM +0200, Warly wrote:
> > > - Should we have cooker snapshot ISOs?
> >
> > No. I don't need ISO's at all during development. 'rsync'ing to a local
> > server and installing via net from there is cheap, fast and reliable.
>
> This is not my opinion. Some problems are only found with a fresh install
> or an upgrade of a previous stable distribution.

A very good point.  I personally rarely use the ISOs myself, though I do
download and burn them occasionally just so I have a benchmark disk. It is so
irritating to have one of those "cooker moments" when you find your system in
such a state that you need to reboot from the CD, but you don't have a CD
current enough to allow you to do so! (I've had this happen a couple of
times.)

Without ISO images, how do we (the cooker tester community) locate the
problems that the "real world" users will encounter? I know that haven't done
a full install from an ISO for a long time, but I will soon - I have another
WinBox that I'm ready to sacrifice to the Penguin God.

I can understand the point of view that "we don't need ISOs," at least for
probably 80% of the cooker cycle. The final 20% should have at least a few
ISO releases. (But then, don't we do that already? RC1, RC2, and in my
opinion there should at least a quick-turn RC3 ... but then I'm an electrical
engineer, and thus biased in favor of excessive prototyping. Ideally, RC3
should be the released product.) It might be nice to have an ISO or two
before RC1. Maybe that's overkill, maybe not.

Just my .02 euros ...
Jay

--
I can bend minds with my spoon.