Ainsi parlait Vincent Danen :
> > Actually, there is no point just explaining servers in contrib are not
> > updated. A real explanation of mandrake policy would be far better:
> > - what is main, what is contrib, and what is update ?
> > - what does get updated ?
> > etc...
>
> Good grief.. everyone wants policy policy policy... =)
>
> Main is what is in the main tree.  You know, what comes in the download
> edition.  The stuff that is labelled "not contribs".  The meat of the
> distro.  The equivilant of Mandrake-devel/cooker/i586/Mandrake/RPMS
>
> Contribs is contribs.  It's labelled as such.
>
> updates?  Should be pretty obvious.  Updates are stuff in main that need
> fixing for whatever reason.
>
> Main gets updated.  contribs doesn't.
>
> I don't see what is so difficult about this.  This is how it has *always*
> been.  It hasn't changed.  No need for a policy regarding it.  This is just
> how it's done.
I know all of this, just because i've been there for 4 years now. My point is
that i'm fed up with oral tradition. No one knows about contribs outside
cooker communauty. Among the few newbies that know about urpmi, they always
use urpmi.update whereas none of their sources ever change. Etc...

What we lack here is a clear explanation of mdk functionning targeted at
outside world.
--
If your attack is going really well, it's an ambush
                -- Murphy's Military Laws n°47