On Thu, Oct 09, 2003 at 12:58:46PM +0200, Svetoslav Slavtchev wrote:
> > Le mer 08/10/2003 à 22:58, Keld Jørn Simonsen a écrit :
> >
> > > A request here: the screenshots should be in the local language, if
> > > possible. To newbies, it is important that the interfaces are in their
> > > native language. And this is furthermore one of Mandrakes strengths,
> > > Mandrake is more translated into native languages than MS windows.
> >
> > why not. But this need to be done by users/contributor/clubers/...
> > and so you may have apps_screenshot-fr and apps_screenshot ( en ) and so
> > on. The right is installed depending on your language.

Oh, well, however, I think localized menus could be generated also
by mandrakesoft, maybe even automatically. It is the same screenshots
that need to be generated, and im many cases it is just the front GUI
that you would need to show. That is pretty easy to generate
automatically for eg all items that are installable on the menu, I think.

> > > Nah, I think installing programs based on the menu is much more
> > > user friendly. I note that right-clicking in the menu is currently not
> > > used, and thus free for perusal for new functionality.
> >
> > No please. because :
> > 1°/ the menu will be cluttered at first, You'd rather install
> > automatically a selection of package you think that will be usefull for
> > the user

I did not want to clutter the menu. There should be just a few choices
available in each menu, that is the recommended Mandrake choices for
the specific menu.

The additions could then be done by right-clicking the menu category,
such as "office applications" - here a number of applications could then
be shown, for installation.

Furthermore to help in diminishing clutterization of the menus, one
could restrict the menu to some shown items that have been used,
and then a "more..." item to list more installed programs. (This idea is
directly stolen from some MS Windows menu.)

> > 2°/ a user expect that applications in his menu are installed ! If he
> > clicks and nothing happen, his first though will be : It's broken. Right
> > click and then install ? see point 1

yes, I agree that this would not be good, but this was not what I
intended.

> 3°/ (hi hi)
> it could be in a sub menu "install more software",
> which uses the menu structure of the main menu,
> has nice icons, and a good description

That is another way to do it.

Best regards
keld