On Sunday 19 October 2003 1:07 pm, Brook Humphrey honored me with this
communique:
> On Sunday 19 October 2003 09:23 am, Götz Waschk wrote:
> > Who's more important, the stupid windows convert, or the developer? If
> > you remove emacs from the CD, you'll scare of the developers. No
> > developers means no new software. BTW it's not emacs that is growing
> > and growing and taking away the CD space but the new generations of
> > GUI software, especially KDE.
>
> it does not matter if it is growing it was to big to begin with. And it is
> growing there are now special packages for tex, and who knows what else
> that are added to add extra features to emacs.

Personally, I don't care whether or not emacs grows. It is just much too big
already, and bloody painful to use. Vi and/or vim are all I need in console
mode when I use Linux or Unix. I removed emacs and xemacs from my systems
long ago; they just eat up disk space. In fact, emacs isn't even available on
my Unix system at work; our SysAdmin also agrees that it is a space hog and
removed it.

I came from the DOS world and, later, Windows. Rarely used Norton Commander,
so mc hasn't been a big issue for me. The command line is all I really need
most of the time. I write lots of scripts (and used to write lots of "batch
files"), and always have at least one terminal window open.

Why choose emacs? I don't know, but it's not for me. Religious issue, as far
as I can tell. It's almost as intuitive as Wordstar, and that's no
compliment. Use it if you want. I won't force you to use vi, even if it is
more efficient. Personal choice is what Linux is all about!

For what it's worth, I even have vim for Windows, for when I have to use that
OS!

Jay