> Le Mardi 21 Octobre 2003 20:42, Buchan Milne a écrit :
>> A long time ago, X used to fall back to running a configuration tool.
>> This may have been long ago, when XFdrake wstill had a link for
>> XF86configure (or whatever Redhat used to call their tool).
>>
>> Why, if a user makes a mistake, do they end up with a console login,
>> when they could have XFdrake instead to help them fix the problem?
>>
>> See the comments in the OSNews review to see why I am asking this
>> again.
>>
>> Windows95 even had a safe mode which would help you reoconfigure your
>> display settings. 8 years later, and Mandrake doesn't.
> I know it's not the right place but:
> I can't find how to run windows in console mode

Recovery console in Windows 2000 and Windows XP. But, there are very few
times you actually need it, because you can ...

> or even failsafe.

Hit F5 or F8 during boot (since Windows 98, maybe even Windows 95). On all
versions of Windows since then, that will bring you up in VGA mode and
load no drivers which aren't necessary. I have never seen a Windows system
that will not get into safe mode. In Windows NT4, this is the "VGA Mode"
boot option in the boot loader.

> Do you known how to do?

The question is, can Mandrake also provide a solution for users who don't
know all the console tools (whether MS has them or not is irrelevant,
since you would never need them) can still recover from choosing the wrong
display settings, or needing to choose a different display driver?

Note, I don't say hardware configuration under Windows is the greatest (I
have spent lots of time fighting hardware support in Windows, like about 2
hours of work to get it to work with the IDE controller on a different M/B
when setting up hardware profiles for different machines on the same
disk), but surely we can do at least as well in ensuring newbies don't end
up with:

localhost login:

and believe the FUD about linux being too difficult for the average user
to use.

Regards,
Buchan