Teletchéa Stéphane wrote:
> Le jeu 30/10/2003 à 13:42, Buchan Milne a écrit :

>>Buchan Milne wrote:
>>
>>>A long time ago, X used to fall back to running a configuration tool.
>>>This may have been long ago, when XFdrake wstill had a link for
>>>XF86configure (or whatever Redhat used to call their tool).
>>>
>>>Why, if a user makes a mistake, do they end up with a console login,
>>>when they could have XFdrake instead to help them fix the problem?
>>>
>>>See the comments in the OSNews review to see why I am asking this again.
>>>
>>>Windows95 even had a safe mode which would help you reoconfigure your
>>>display settings. 8 years later, and Mandrake doesn't.
>>
>>Seen on a local LUG list:
>>
>>"I made the mistake of changing my monitor, and now X doesn't seem to be
>>running...I have no idea on how to fix the problem or where to start.  I
>>am currently running Mandrake 9.1.  Is there a console program (like in
>>RedHat, namely, setup and then to X setup) where you can fix the X
>>display resolution / refresh rates?  Or if there isn't, how can I set up
>>my computer to use the default setting which allows any monitor to be
>>connected to it and it still displays something.  What files do I need
>>to edit?"
>>
>>This kind of question should never need to be asked ...
>
> Sorry to be against you Buchan, but as he knew there is a console
> program in RH, he should knew there is also one in Mdk aka XFdrake ...

And what if the user had never used Redhat before??? This guy has been
using Linux on hist desktop for over a year, do we expect newbies to
know more than this?

> I could agree if he had said : i tried drakXfree and didn't found it,
> but here, he didn't even try to figure out.
>
> May be we should normalize definitively the Mandrake tools as drak* for
> example, but that's another point.

This is largely irrelevant. For a desktop OS, it is criminal to dump a
user in a console without any help if they have just changed the
monitor. If we can't ensure that X will come up, why should newbies use
Mandrake over Debian?

Regards,
Buchan

- --
Cellphone * Work            +27 82 472 2231 * +27 21 8828820x202