Norman Zhang wrote:
> Hi Buchan,

>>>BIOS memory check is (mostly) useless. Use memtest86 or similar.
>>
>>Sure I will test it with memtest86 and report back. I have been
>>running LM9.0 with Samba on this box for 3/4 year now. The problem
>>only arose in the last 2 months by random. I swapped brand new
>>Crucial Micron ECC DDR266 SDRAM, but the problem still presists. BTW,
>>the BIOS memory check is quite extensive (Intel claims to scan it
>>block by block). It takes about 1 to 2 minutes for it to scan the
>>memory. Not sure how this compares to memtest86. I guess I will wait
>>after hours before I can run a memtest86.
>

> I ran memtest and found no error. Do you have other suggestions that I can
> further troubleshoot this? There are no cards plugged to the system. The
> system just runs software RAID. Thus it seems to be either XFS, md or
samba
> bug.

I would guess XFS. You may want to try a more recent kernel? (Thomas
hinted that earlier kernels may have had some issues with XFS). But I
think I'm running on XFS on the only production Winbind box I have at
present (running 8.2 still!), with no problems. But the only box I have
running XFS with an smp kernel runs 9.1.

> Maybe I could try upgrading samba to 2.2.8a-2mdk from your web server.

I would prefer if you used on of the samba FTP mirrors, you can get
setup easily at http://plf.zarb.org/~nanardon/?minor=1 (choose a "Samba"
medium).

> Are there potential gotchas that I should watch out for?

Not that I know of. In fact, I had reports that Squid authentication via
winbind works with these but not the version you have.

Regards,
Buchan

- --
Cellphone * Work            +27 82 472 2231 * +27 21 8828820x202