> Ok, you're using a VIA82CXXX IDE chipset.
> I've set CONFIG_BLK_DEV_VIA82CXXX=m in test9.5mdk, but, as Andrey
> pointed out, ide chipsets won't even load in current 2.6 state.

I do not remember having said that :) I said that "modular IDE
is known to not work" - but the only proof of that statement I have
seen is post-halloween document.

But I readily admit it is true. It is not an IDE job to actually
load chipset drivers - it is a job of PCI hotplug.

But - we get chicken and egg problem here. You have apparently no way
to dynamically load IDE drivers at the kernel probes for disks. Nor
do you have any way to even STATICALLY load them out of initrd because
initrd is initialized too late.

Ideally we want to skip IDE init until initram has been inited and
load correct driver after that. I appreciate if someone could get a
look.

Olivier, thank you for config comparison, it is very useful, I will
send a detailed comment later.