------------------that was sort of joke---------------------

> > the warnings could be easily fix> ed, no ?-)

> no. you can't just remove MOD_{INC,DEC}_USE_COUNT without providing
> alternative refcount mechanism. Warnings are put there for a reason :)
>
> > > it can't be solved by fixing compilation problems, it needs serious
> > > redesign
> > > of IDE layer.
> >
> > that's true, but it's in that state for a long, long time
> >
> > and how many users are going to  load additional ide drivers once the
> > system is up
> > and running and unload the ide modules,  once they are loaded ?
>
> PC card IDE? harddrake (or something else) probing for right driver for
> your
> card?

well , even then once configured, it will be always in , until it gets
unconfigured
wouldn't it be then sufficient just to prevent module unloading
the unnedded modules will stay in the kernel till reboot, but is that
really a problem, we do have them currently compiled in

or is Joe user going to say:
" Hm i don't need this cdrom/ hard drive right now,
  why not free some kernel memmory and unload the
  ide module?"

svetljo