> On Sunday 16 November 2003 06:56, Olivier Blin wrote:
> > >
> > > my current patch tarball is uploading
> > > linux-test9s5.tar.bz2
> > >
> > > nosrc.rpm && may be rpm after successfully recompile
> > > under the same kernel :-)
> > >

> please keep just patches for us poor dial-upers as well :)

nosrc.rpm's will always be there
and they are just the patch taball + rpm spec file

(
:-) unless i add --with-nvidia switch like the --with-matrox in xfree,
which will add 2-3 small patches
)

> > > because the maintainer is hiding somewhere :(
> >
> > Well, the packager (Chmouel) is gone, he doesn't work at
> > MandrakeSoft anymore.
>
> module-init-tools have been maintained by thierry. I do not know about
> hotplug.
>
> > The real maintener is now Andrey, but I guess he hasn't rights to upload
> > in main. Who can volunteer ?
> >

> once more - I do not have cooker so I cannot test it on cooker so I won't
> upload them to cooker. So I hope someone who can build and test them on
> cooker would do it.

> > > could you add cramfs support ?-)
> >
> > yes, no problem
> > Should I make it an option in mkinitrd ?
> >

> I guess yes. But this is compatibility problem. It is not supported on
> vanilla
> kernel so you have to detect patched kernel somehow. And how are you going
> do it? You will get a flood of "bug reports" from users who compiled their
>
> own kernels (vanilla ones or whatever) and cannot load initrd.
>
> So please make it off by default. I assume we could turn it on in kernel
> post-install script.

that would really be the best way

> Is it really as good? Does it worth hassles?

it's pretty smaller, and ext2 is getting bigger & bigger (ea/acl)

> > > they could be loaded unconditionaly after root is mounted
> > > (there might be some warnings, but nothing that could harm the system)
> >
> > Do you want to try to load *all* mouse and keyboard drivers at boot ?
> > That might work, but hey, that's not so smart :)
> >

> come on it is really just as smart as compiling all of them into kernel.
> But
> it will keep *boot* kernel size small making it still possible to fit on a
>
> floppy.

i fear that without modular ide this wont be possible,
and mdk92 doesn't support it for 2.4 either

> Or we should officially use some higher density floppy format. Is floppy
> over
> 1.44 possible?

IIRC not on any hardware

svetljo