Peter Ruskin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I'll make a note of that one - thanks ... *but* ...
> What is wrong with this new consolidated menu system?  I was perfectly
> happy with the old KDE menus, but I thought: OK, I'll go along with these
> drab pastel icons if it's the way forward.

Extract of the soon to be released next mdk-rpm-howto:

<para>
As of the 7.1 version of Linux-Mandrake, we now use the Menu System
written by Debian.
</para>

<para>
This excellent software provides a Window-Manager independant way to
register an application to the system. Most of the time, this registration
will become effective in the Start button or alike of your favourite
Window Manager.
</para>

<para>
It works like this: each package includes a file in directory
<literal>/usr/lib/menu/</literal>. Most of the time the filename will be
the name of the package. In this file, it will have one line per
menu-entry, like this:
</para>

> However, if I install an RPM from Cooker, Contribs, etc., and it doesn't know
> about 'Amusement', 'Configuration' or the other new menu items, it reads the
> applnk and makes a new menu item, for example, the old 'Utilities'.
>
> That's OK, I can find it.  But the next time I boot - it's disappeared.  How can I
> stop this happening?  I want to be able to customise the menus *without*
> something cancelling my changes between sessions.

We are working on a menu editor. ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

For the moment you can edit the entries by hand ; all the menu entries
have to be in /usr/lib/menu

Read /usr/doc/menu*/* for more information

--
"Pixel, il faut mettre un peu de chaleur dans tes contacts humains" (c) Titi