I think one must do the following:

The RPM package inserts its menu entry on installation and deletes it on
uninstall and in the case that the necessary submenu is missing, it
creates it and in the case that a submenu gets empty it deletes it, but
it never deletes any other menu entry than its own one. If every RPM
package would do so one has menu entries for all installed RPM packages
and one can add entries as one wants without loosing them at the next
RPM (de)installation. If the menu update is done by an external script
and not by the RPM package itself, the post-install script of the
package should call the menu updater with the name of the menu item as
argument, so that the updater only treats this entry and none of the
other entries.

   Till